Earthquakes: what you need to know

Think earthquakes rarely hit Quebec? Nothing could be further from the truth! Experts from the ministère de la Sécurité publique record approximately 450 earthquakes every year. Most of them don’t cause any material damage, but the risk of strong aftershocks cannot be overlooked. Quebec has experienced a few earthquakes with a magnitude of 6 or 7 on the Richter scale.

Read these tips from the La Capitale blog to know the risk areas, what to do in the event of an earthquake and what to verify in your home insurance.

Risk areas

Earthquakes can occur anywhere in Quebec. Experts, however, have identified three hot spots:

  1. The Charlevoix-Kamouraska region
  2. Western Quebec: From Montreal to the Témiscamingue region, including the Eastern Townships and Eastern Ontario
  3. The Lower Saint Lawrence and North Shore region

Since the risk is real, the Association de sécurité civile du Québec (ASCQ) and the Insurance Bureau of Canada (IBC) have organized an annual prevention campaign. The purpose of this campaign, known as the Great ShakeOut, is to inform the population of the best practices to be applied in the event of an earthquake.

Three things to do

In the event of a major earthquake, these three tips may save your life:

  1. Drop to the ground. By staying close to the ground, you won’t suffer a fall as a result of aftershocks.
  2. Take cover under a table or solid piece of furniture, such as a table. If there’s no solid shelter nearby, drop to the ground and stay away from windows and unstable objects. Use your arms to protect your head and neck.
  3. Hold on tight to the furniture sheltering you until the shaking subsides.

Home insurance: What to verify

Damage caused by smoke, fire or an explosion due to an earthquake is often covered by an additional coverage. This coverage is automatically added to La Capitale home insurance policies. But beware that with most insurers, you have to ask for this option to get the coverage.

Good to know: Damage to the structure of a building is not covered. If you live in a high-risk area and want to get better coverage, you can take out additional coverage for your home insurance that specifically covers your residence and property in the event of damage caused by an earthquake.

What about your auto insurance?

If you add Section B coverages to your auto insurance, any damage to your vehicle caused by an earthquake would be covered!

Take advantage of the partnership with La Capitale!

If you’re a DuProprio buyer or seller, ask La Capitale General Insurance for a home, auto or leisure vehicle insurance quote to take advantage of the benefits of our partnership!

Comments are closed.